Fire Drill/Evacuation Plan (Monthly)
Announcement: Three Bells and Fire Alarm
The evacuation of the building would take place when removing all staff and students is necessary. At the alarm signal, teachers will follow the Evacuation Map indicating the quickest route to exit the building. Designated staff members check assigned areas and communicate via hand held radios.
• Staff and students move silently and quickly through the prearranged route on map to the exit door and away from the building.
• Staff takes attendance upon reaching the designated area.
• Staff holds up GREEN card if all are present and secure or hold up RED card if assistance is needed.
• Staff and students remain quiet.
• All classes will wait in the designated area for further directions OR until the signal, two bells, is given to return to building (direction from evacuation leader).
Lockdown Drill (Twice per semester)
Announcement: PA System
This protocol will be initiated in the event that all school personnel and students are to be isolated and not in the halls for any reason. A campus administrator announces lockdown. Staff and students stay in place until a notice is made announcing drill is complete via PA or cell phone text message.
• Staff makes a quick sweep of the hallway immediately outside their classroom door.
• Staff brings any student in the immediate area of their door into the classroom.
• Doors are locked, lights are off and blinds are closed.
• Visitors are not allowed inside building/portable when locked down.
• Students are moved to a safe area in the room and remain silent (cell phone on mute).
• Students in the cafeteria or library will follow the instructions of school staff.
Staff waits for announcement that drill is complete via PA or cell phone text message.
Severe Weather Shelter Drill (Twice per semester)
Announcement: Five Bells/PA System
In case of tornado, severe thunderstorms, or other weather emergency, moving into the hallways/interior walls in the building and away from exterior dangers is done quickly and silently. Designated staff members check assigned areas and communicate via hand held radios.
• Staff turns off classroom light and closes door.
• Staff and students proceed to designated area on map; staff and students in portables/gym proceed to main building and the designated area on map.
• Students get in the weather drill position.
• Staff takes attendance and uses GREEN or RED cards to communicate needs to designated staff safety team.
• Staff waits for the all clear signal, two bells.
Reverse Evacuation Drill (Twice per semester)
Announcement: PA System
Reverse evacuations take place when a hazard intersects with the built environment near an AISD facility. For example, a robbery in the neighborhood would be a reason to initiate a reverse evacuation. Administrator announces reverse evacuation.
• Staff should immediately move all employees, students and visitors into the nearest building and portables and ensure all exterior doors are closed and locked.
• Employees should check the interior of their respective buildings and portables to ensure everybody who is supposed to be in the portable or building is accounted for; GREEN or RED cards are used to communicate needs to designated staff safety team.
• Staff waits for additional information, but may go about daily routines.
• Students are to be supervised by an adult at all times.
• No new visitors are allowed inside the facilities without approval or until the reverse evacuation has been lifted.